Polemos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Longest Day [Menel & Laven]

2 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Longest Day [Menel & Laven] - Page 3 Empty Re: The Longest Day [Menel & Laven]

Post by Menel Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:47 pm

Laven handled the stuffed animal with care, tucking it against his side and taking Menel's arm casually. The swordsman allowed himself to be led away from the booth. He was glad that the other man seemed pleased with the prize, even if it wasn't exactly a quality piece of craftsmanship. In fact... If he was a clothier Laven probably could have made a stuffed animal of his own that was much better, though on the other side Menel supposed that if this one fell to ill repair that the elf could easily fix it too. Somehow the thought of Laven sitting with a needle in hand repairing the stuffed animal over and over made him smile more than just a little. There was something to be said for gifts, even if they were poorly constructed ones... it was the thought that counted.

"I always do my best to." His words were gentle and not at all reproachful, and seemed to say more than what they meant. If anything they were introspective. Menel couldn't say that he always kept his word, there were times in his life where he had failed utterly and completely. Times seared into the dark spaces of his memory... waiting.

Like the elf at his side Menel hadn't really been paying much attention to the time of day, and even now he wasn't really. He was more interested in the different things that the festival had to offer, and taking advantage of it while he still had a chance.

"I have an idea, but we'd have to do something a little dangerous for a good view."

Menel looked over at Laven, his blue eyes lighting. "Something dangerous?" His lips twitched with amusement. He wondered what the other man could want a view of that would require them to perform a dangerous activity to reach. He couldn't deny the elf's hopeful expression, much less his own curiosity and sense of excitement. "I trust you."

He could say those words with utter honesty. It never even occurred to him that it might be some kind of setup. After all, if Laven meant him harm he'd had more than one chance to try his hand at harming Menel before now. Besides, so far as he could tell Laven hadn't lied to him once so far. "Lead the way."
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

The Longest Day [Menel & Laven] - Page 3 Empty Re: The Longest Day [Menel & Laven]

Post by Laven Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:38 pm

He smiled, squeezing Menel's hand in a silent thanks for trusting him. Laven spent another moment looking at the buildings that surrounded them. There was once, tall and flat at the top with what looked like an old system of fire ladders. They stopped the last few body lengths from the roof but Laven could see where the builders had left uneven stones jutting as ideal handholds. While Laven was acquainted at one handed climbing, he wasn't sure about Menel. He'd just have to make sure to shoulder the extra burden of items the two were currently in possession of.

"I have an idea," Laven said, moving slowly through the crowds with Menel at his side. "I know you ate quite a bit earlier, love, but I haven't had much in my stomach since morning." He looked over at the man at his side and raised his eyebrows. "And seeing all this street food is making my body remember that fact." Every few feet there was another odor of something being fried or of sugary sweets that Laven knew he shouldn't crave but absolutely did. The way people seemed ecstatic while devouring what the festival had to offer didn't help.

"How does this sound? You go get something you think we'd be able to eat sitting and not completely ruin our clothes. And I'll go borrow some things that'll make this more comfortable for the both of us." They were near a residential area, and Laven knew more than one family in this area that would be willing to part with a few blankets for an hour or two. And the idea of sitting on a rooftop watching the night sky was far more appealing with the idea of padding between them and the rough stones.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:38 pm

It didn't actually take long for Menel to deduce what it was that Laven had in mind. Not with the elf so obviously looking around at the rooftops. The swordsman had never considered climbing a particularly difficult vocation, but when Laven explained that he'd like Menel to gather up some food the swordsman understood what would make the effort more difficult. Surveying the fair from the rooftops sounded like an excellent idea to him, and if it was food that Laven wanted him to find... well the elf had found just the swordsman for the job.

"You should have shared the meal with me Laven! I could use something to eat myself too so I'll grab some things and be back in a few minutes." The swordsman eyed the building, memorizing it easily so that he would be able to find his way back to it regardless of how far he strayed. Menel had a lot of small flaws, but his sense of direction was not one of them, in fact he had a rather uncanny ability to always know where he was in relation to everything else.

He flashed the assassin a smile.
"This is a great idea."

The swordsman mirrored Laven's grateful squeeze, then pulled away. It took a little while for the tall shock of white hair to vanish amid the other people, his blue eyes scanning for a few of the food booths he had spotted earlier. Menel was always aware of his surroundings, and food was something that he always took special care to take note of. In the woods it was pure survival, and here where there was so many people... It was more convenience and knowing where things he wanted were.

Unfortunately he had no way of knowing what Laven's tastes were, but he could assume that the elf had a fairly broad palette, and he knew that if there was anything that he bought that Laven didn't like... He would eat it himself. It didn't take long for Menel to acquire a whole range of foods. Kebabs of various styles and flavors including a vegetarian option. Some fried delicacies such as the takoyaki which he had found. Even a small surprise at the bottom of the bag that he had gotten to hold everything in.

He arrived back to the house in a short time with a broad smile and enough food to more than feed the both of them assuming that Laven had an appetite to match Menel's.
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:50 pm

The chuckle that escaped him after Menel's admonishment was lost in the sounds of the street, so Laven just shook his head and watched Menel work his way through the throngs of people on a hunt for food.

There was no way Laven was going to eat when he knew he was about to end someone's life, no matter how abhorrent the individual happened to be. He remembered the few times he had done that in his youth, and the vomiting that chased his successful kills. No, it was better to go without and then eat lightly once he had done his job. But since it seemed  less and less likely Laven was going to be putting a knife between Ryliegh's ribs today (Or honestly any time Menel was on duty. Laven knew when he was well and truly bested) it was in his best interest to eat something. Preferably something that would give him back some energy.

When Menel's shock of white hair was out of Laven's sight the elf walked a little deeper down a side street that looked like it had seen better days. Most of the buildings in the area the festival was centered in were businesses, but there were still some basement and attic apartments to be found. They were usually unpopular due to lack of repairs, but the poorer people who refused to live in the slums could be found in them. One basement flat in particular held Laven's interest. It was one of the few that sported an above ground porch, with stairs leading down once the door was opened. Glancing around him to make sure he wasn't being watched, Laven knocked a pattern on the door. Flakes of paint came off, but that was hardly unusual.

There was a sound of shuffling, and then the door cracked open enough for a pair of bright eyes to peer out, looking up at Laven from waist-level.

"Hello, Mahri. Is your mother home tonight?" Laven smiled widly as the door was flung open and a dwarf child launched herself at his knees. "Laven!" She squealed, as the assassin scooped her up and balanced the wiggly child on his right hip. He didn't bother hiding the laugh that bubbled up in his chest before planting a kiss on her round nose. "Happy solstice to you, Mahri." A giggle was her reply, her face buried against his shoulder in affection.

"Mam is out." She said, her voice muffled into the soft cloth of Laven's coat. He rubbed Mahri's back gently and shifted her weight to be more comfortable. She was still small, even by dwarf standards, but soon she'd be too heavy to be picked up by someone as slender as Laven. But he could feel her anxiety trembling through her, and pulled the little rabbit Manel had won him out to distract her. With a soft sound she took the stuffed toy, examining it as Laven made soft sounds to calm her. "Your mum is doing what she can to keep you and your da safe and happy, you know that Mahri." He tried to smile for her, not thinking about the stout dwarf woman out in the crowds doing what she could to not only make money but also help Laven track down his secondary target. Mahri only made a muffled sound of agreement, as if she had been told that same line too many times and was tired of arguing the fact.

He cleared his throat, moving the stuffed rabbit to snuffle against the child's cheek.
"A very nice man won this little one for me, but would you like to name him?" Mahri turned the toy over in her hands, a serious look on her face when she turned it up to Laven. "Her name's Gwenny." She declared, and Laven felt a tiny pang of guilt at the name before he smoothed it back. "Gwenny will be proud to share the same name as your sister." He said instead, freeing his hand to smooth down her hair while he thought of the fierce older dwarf child that had been missing for weeks. Mahri's mom was out looking for information, he was sure of it. But he was also sure she was gone. With a soft sigh he cuddled the little girl in his arms close, letting her whisper and play with the rabbit Gwenny before returning to his original reasoning to knock on her door.

"Mahri, do you think your mum would mind if I borrowed some blankets? Like the ones you lay on the floor when it's cold in your flat?" While the child's face screwed up in thought Laven turned, keeping an eye out for Menel. When he saw the white hair he lifted his free hand, hoping the swordsman would see him.

Last edited by Laven on Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:21 pm

It took Menel not one but two passes with his blue eyes over the crowed to spot Laven. He would have found the distinctive lavender hair faster but he was expecting it at eye level not kneeling down near the ground a bit far from the location where they'd agreed to meet up. His blue eyes flickered toward the small form beside the elf, then back to Laven himself who was waving a bit to get his attention. The swordsman waved back merrily, heading for the pair.

The child was very small, her delicate features noticing him quickly as he approached. He was in his own way familiar with the edge of wariness that flickered over her eyes at seeing an unfamiliar person. Even with his smile he couldn't hope to disarm that kind of suspicion so easily, but somehow Laven had. Perhaps they knew one another. The fact that the girl let Laven pick her up seemed to suggest that much, and perhaps the rabbit that she was holding.

No... it was more than that. More than the soft expression on Laven's face whenever his eyes touched upon her. More than a single soft animal could hope to gain in the measure of trust. Menel turned his smile on Laven, he knew better than to try and approach Laven to closely while he was holding the girl, but perhaps the fact that he didn't appear too interested in her would encourage trust. Yet... her wide eyes made his heart ache more than just a little.

"I've got everything, and probably some extras. How about you Laven?" He allowed his blue eyes to slip to the little girl, offering her a smile as well. "Are you going to introduce me to your friend?"

When his eyes slid back to Laven's they almost seemed to insist that the elf say yes. Menel had already decided of course... The only question really was how much of their snack he would be leaving behind with her.

Last edited by Menel on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:15 am

Mahri shifted in Laven's arms, squeezing him tightly and eyeing Menel with distrust. Laven made a soft noise and brought his left hand down to ruffle her dark hair. "Mahri, this is Menel. He's the one who won Gwenny for me." When he looked up at Menel there was an unreadable expression on his face, but the corners of his eyes were creased in obvious enjoyment. Shifting his head to indicate Menel he jostled the child gently, causing her to look up instead of hiding against his shoulder again. "Menel, this is miss Mahri Heavyhammer. Her mum and I used to work together." There was a stress on used to,  and Laven hoped Menel would take the hint not to mention his job to the small child.

But looking at the enamored face he was making, and the way he was clearly planning to leave some of the food he had bought for her, Laven suspected Menel was as weak to children as he was. So he smiled and gestured to the stuffed toy that was still in little Mahri's grasp.
"And this is the esteemed Gwenny. She and Mahri are becoming fast friends, aren't you?" the question was directed at the little girl, who giggled and hid her face again before looking up at Menel.

"Hello," She offered, shyly smiling at the human. "Can you win a bunny for me too? Mummy said I had to stay inside tonight 'cause she had to work." She pulled a face, and Laven chuckled and kissed the top of her head. "Menel had to work hard for Gwenny, Mahri! It wouldn't be fair to make him go back and try again, not when it's late and you should be sleeping anyhow." He winked over her head at Menel before leaning down to set the dwarf girl on her feet again.

"How about we trade? If you promise to take good care of her while I'm gone, you can hold on to Gwenny tonight. I'll come back for her when I bring home your blankets. Does that sound fair?" He hoped Menel wouldn't mind, but he knew she was lonely at night and he couldn't bring her with them. There was too much at stake tonight, and he didn't want to face her mother's wrath if she ever found out her remaining daughter had been manhandled onto a crumbling rooftop.

It seemed that she was swayed by the idea of having the little rabbit keep her company though, because Mahri scrambled to the door, vanishing inside with only the sound of bare feet slapping on wood to let them know she was going down the stairs.

Laven gave Menel a half hearted shrug.
"Her father's been sick for a long time, so he's there but probably sleeping. Hopefully sleeping. If you want to leave her some treats feel free, but her mum's wrath will be on your head." The elf laughed, though Menel couldn't know just how energetic the dwarf child could be with too much sugar in her body. For someone so small she could prove to be more than a handful sometimes. It never stopped him from slipping her little things now and again though. She was owed that much.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:58 am

Clearly Laven and the girl were old friends. She easily accepted his affection even if she looked at Menel with wide-eyed distrust. He couldn't tell what Laven was thinking, but he could tell that the other man was enjoying himself at least a little. The swordsman was grateful when the elf introduced him, nodding once in silent gratitude to Laven and giving the girl a slightly broader smile and half a wave. The assassin really didn't have to worry about Menel mentioning his occupation to a child. Though it did make him wonder what the woman did for a living, both now and then to know an assassin so well.

The thought almost made Menel laugh. Another bodyguard perhaps?

"Greetings miss Mari Heavyhammer." He said his words in all seriousness, placing one hand over his chest and offering the girl a small bow.

The swordsman stumbled mentally at her question, and it was obvious from the expression on his face that if Laven hadn't jumped to his rescue that he might have offered to do just that even if it meant missing out on the view and standing in line for an irate booth-worker. Thankfully the elf did, winking at him as he set the girl down once more and making Menel flush a bit in embarrassment. He wished, not for the first time in his life that he could do more for the girl. That he could offer more than food, something that would last longer.

There was only so much that he could do.

He watched the girl scramble off with the promise that she could keep the rabbit for a night. She was so excited at the prospect that Menel had to wonder if she had any toys of her own. Now wasn't really the time to ask, not with her so close at hand, but he could ask Laven later. Perhaps convince the other man to take something to her in the morning when he returned for his own toy.

Laven shifted beside him explaining a bit of the situation. At least the girl wasn't alone, even if her father was asleep. It wasn't much but... The man was still alive, still where she could touch him. Menel hoped that her father got well soon. Laven laughed at his own words but Menel looked at the elf with real concern.
"Would her mother really mind if I left some food? I have a bunch of different things." He looked at the elf. "I don't want to overstep, but... You know the woman, maybe you could pick out something she wouldn't mind her daughter having?"

He hopefully offered the elf his bag of various fair-made foods. There was rather distinctively two of everything. Including a pair of small personal apple pies at the bottom.
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:38 pm

The look of surprise at the swordsman's suggestion was hard to miss. "Menel, this is too much..." Laven's eyes widened as he sorted through the bag of food Menel had offered him. "It's not that Helsmi will get mad if we leave Mahri food, just too much sweets I suspect... Here." Quickly the elf pulled out a bundle of roasted corn and one of the apple pies. "I wont be able to eat even a quarter of this, so she and her father can share." Laven smiled, fishing out some fried dough as well. None of it was terribly healthy for either a growing child nor a sick father. But the treats would cheer them up in their dark little home. he'd only miss the apple pie a little. But Mahri's happiness was worth the loss.

As he stacked them neatly together the door opened once more, Mahri returning with several blankets that dragged on the floor and almost blocked her vision.
"I'm back!" The little girl exclaimed, losing her grip on some of the fabric. Laven was quick to reach out and help her, folding the material neatly and tossing the blankets one by one over his shoulder. "Thank you, sweetheart." Laven smiled and knelt down to be eye level with the little dwarf girl once again. "And guess what? Menel said you and your father could share some of the food he bought!" The bright eyes widened with joy as they darted between Menel and Laven, and she made a sudden squealing noise before launching herself at Menel, arms around his legs as she looked up at him.

"Thank you!" She cried out, tugging at his belt and grinning. "I promise I'll take good care of Gwenny for you and Laven, okay?" Laven finished folding and gathering up the blankets, his face wreathed in smiles as he looked at the two of them. There was a warm feeling in his chest, seeing the little girl so happy over just a simple gift of food and a toy. He thought of the scraps of left over fabric he had, and how easy it would be to make some simple stuffed animals for her and some of the other children he knew through their parents.

"Okay, Mahri. Here, you take food inside and keep it warm for your father and mum." Laven extracted the little girl from her embrace with the human and filling her arms with food. Carefully he kept the door open for her, letting her trot down the stairs and disappear into where he knew the kitchen area was.

After a few moments she came racing back, climbing back into Laven's arms and planting a messy kiss on his cheek before reaching for Menel to do the same.
"Good girl," Laven kissed the top of her head once more and set her down. With a gentle nudge back to her door.

"Remember to lock up tight. And don't let anybody inside until your mum is home." She gave him a solemn look and shut the heavy, battered door. Laven waited until he could hear all three bolts slide home before relaxing and looking back at Menel, hefting the threadbare blankets with a half smile. "Ready?"
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:31 pm

Menel knew from long experience that few people could match his appetite and that it was more than likely that he'd gotten to much food for Laven, but he also knew it wouldn't go to waste. Whatever was left over would simply make a morning snack for the swordsman and now... Well Menel was glad for his expansive appetite if it meant that they had extras for the little girl. Laven's exclamation made him blush lightly, but he didn't regret buying a single thing, he simply watched Laven choose a few treats for the girl and felt himself relax just a little knowing that her mother wouldn't really mind.

After a moment Mahri returned, a ton of blankets in tow. Menel would have stepped forward to help her but... He was grateful when Laven did so, the elf's fingers taking the load and throwing it over his shoulder as he knelt down to eye level to talk to her. The expression that passed across her face when Laven explained that Menel meant to leave some food for her melted the swordsman's heart into a veritable puddle. As if seeing her in Laven's arms a few moments ago hadn't done it already.

He never expected her to run to him, wrapping tiny arms around his legs in gratitude. For just a moment every defense Menel had crumbled to dust. A hundred assassins could have walked by, someone could have dropped a giant anvil on his head and he wouldn't have noticed. He touched her hair softly, returning the edge of her hug. The inexplicable joy of that sudden expression from her made him respond in kind, so much so that his heart ached from it.

Menel smiled down at her radiantly.
"Thank you miss Mahri." Laven pulled the girl away to give her the treats and Menel took the moment to recompose himself a little. It wasn't hard to see that Mahri had the same effect on the elf that she had on Menel. They both watched her disappear into the house, the swordsman watching Laven. Which meant that when Mahri came back he was surprised again.

At least until she planted a kiss on Laven's cheek. The swordsman was entirely unable to stifle the little chuckle that escaped him, grinning a bit when she reached her arms out to him with that look on her face that said she was going to give him one too. Menel drew close enough for her to wrap her arms around him and give him a kiss as well before Laven pushed her off toward her house.

"Good girl." Like Laven at his side the swordsman watched until she was safely behind her own door.

"She really is isn't she? A very kind little girl." His voice was soft. Laven shifted the weight of the blankets and Menel dutifully picked up the food. The elf wasn't going to miss out on the pie. Of that Menel would make sure.

"Yea, I'm ready to go." The swordsman shifted, leading Laven back toward the building that the elf had surveyed before. He couldn't shake the image of how happy Laven had been. The elf wasn't very young from what Menel could tell. Which made Menel wonder if he had a family of his own somewhere. Did he have, or want children of his own? They were questions far to personal and impolite to ask, but watching Laven with that little girl he couldn't help but wonder.

They reached the building and Menel shifted the weight in his hands so that he was holding the bag in his right hand.
"I'll head up first so I can help you up with those blankets." The swordsman reached up, pulling with one arm. It was the first two pulls that were most difficult really. His balance was good enough that whenever he reached for the next ledge up he didn't have to worry so much about falling, and most of the strength for each motion came not from his arms and shoulders but from his legs. Which made it only slightly more difficult than walking. And he could still use the hand that held the bag of food in it for counterbalance to some extent.

In the end he reached the top without event. Putting the bag down and turning to see what assistance he could offer Laven.
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:38 pm

Laven followed Menel, the blankets a comfortable weight he could manage easily over one shoulder. It was a good thing Menel had decided to lead, because Laven's thoughts were in a whirlwind. Had there been news about the real Gwenny, Mahri's sister? Was he too late to track down the terrible creature that called himself a man but sold people like beasts of burden? And of course, the feeling of sorrow now that his arms were empty once more. Holding the small child had brought back memories of his youth. And of the family he had held until they were ripped from his grasp.

It wasn't until Menel stopped and was talking that Laven realized they were standing in front of the self same building he had pointed out for it's ideal roof shape. And the human was talking to him.
"What? Oh yes, of course." Laven flashed Menel a smile. The younger man didn't deserve to be subjected to his melancholy. Instead they should be enjoying what was left of the night before Remembrance was returned to Laven, and the assassin was forced back to duty.

"I'll see you at the top, my dear." Laven watched Menel begin to climb, deciding the swordsman was unlikely to lose his grip and crack his skull on the road beneath him. And even one handed. Looking at the bag full of food, Laven was stuck with an odd thought.

There was a plethora of food in that satchel, but not a single drink. Laven realized he had neglected to mention that the two of them would likely need something to wash down all that sticky and fatty food. Making a snap decision, Laven turned on his heel, settling the blankets more comfortably and trotting down the main street of merchants that lined the area. He knew there was a small business that doubled as a cellar for wines and beers, keeping them cook even with the sweltering summer sun beating down on the city.

He popped inside, heedless of how silly he looked with blankets over his shoulder like a king's mantle. He scanned the shelves, eyes focusing on a bottle he recognized as being a good quality red wine. It took only moments to snag it in his hand and pay before he sailed out of the door, ignoring the looks the staff gave him as he left.

Once back at the building, he hefted the bottle into the hand that was also keeping the blankets secure and began to haul himself up the rough stone face. In some ways his job made this easier than most might think. There had been more occasions than he liked to admit where he found himself hauling a limp and heavy (and bloody, usually) body over his shoulder and disappearing into the night. Scaling a wall with something thrown over his shoulder was not fun. But these blankets were simple in comparison.

So up he went, the hand holding the bottle pressed into the blanket's folds to keep it from scraping. Laven was a fast climber, and he was up and over the edge, winking easily at Menel once he had hauled himself over the roof's lip.
"I thought we might want something to go with all that food you chose for us. Do you drink wine?" Laven raised the bottle in inquiry, hoping the answer was yes.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:56 pm

Laven was far lower on the building than Menel expected him to be, but he climbed quickly and with relative ease. It didn't seem like the blankets bothered him much at all, or even like he needed Menel's help at all though the swordsman certainly offered it. Menel shifted the bag of food a bit, making room on the rooftop for them to spread out the blankets.

"I thought we might want something to go with all that food you chose for us. Do you drink wine?"

Menel looked up, noticing the bottle and looking a bit embarrassed for a moment. "Ah, I did forget to grab something to drink didn't I?" He laughed lightly, moving close enough to tug on a blanket. He wanted to start setting things up so that they could sit down and relax. "Sorry about that. I  don't usually have wine but it's only fair you choose what we drink since I chose the food right?"

He flashed the other man a smile and laughed again. "I'm not picky anyways, and I'm sure it will be very good. Do you want to give me a hand rolling out the blanket?" If they worked together it would be easier to get it to lay flat.
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:52 pm

It was easy enough to wave away Menel's embarrassment. It was a simple enough thing to fix, so Laven had. Laven gave over the blankets after Menel started tugging at them, shifting the wine to his fee hand before resting it next to the bag of foodstuffs. The sky was just about fully dark, so they had to hurry if they wanted everything set up before the main event. Laven hoped Menel would like this last little surprise.

"True on both accounts, but don't worry. It's a good wine for summer nights." He chuckled and turned to the swordsman, carrying one of the blankets so graciously provided by a sweet little girl. It was easy enough to lay them out, two on the ground to cushion them and one rolled up as a makeshift pillow for their heads. Placing everything up against the edge  of the roof that faced away from the market streets but towards the waterfront. With a satisfied nod, Laven scooped up the food and wine before making his way back over to Menel.

With the food placed in easy reach it was easy for Laven to sit at the edge, long boots removed to keep dirt and debris out from under either of them. After a moment of thought Laven began removing his coat as well, both to make it easier to recline without the wide belting around his middle and also to ease some of the pressure off of his battered side. With the coat gone there was a thick olive green vest with a deep burgundy undershirt, both as well made and tailored as the coat had been.

Raising an eyebrow Laven gave a gentle pat to the space besides him.
"Take a seat. I think this will be worth the climb."
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:38 pm

With Laven getting comfortable Menel decided to follow suit. He wasn't really wearing very much. Just a cape which was easy enough to unhitch from his armor since it had been built to come undone at a moment's notice. He wrapped it around their impromptu pillow to add a bit more thickness to it and to help keep the blanket wrapped up. Besides, it gave him a place for it aside from the ground.

Relaxing, really relaxing took a bit more effort for the swordsman than it seemed to for Laven. He pulled a forearm-length blade from under his armor along his spine, unhitching a hidden catch there as well so that it would come free with it's sheath intact. He lay that down off to the side with his own boots which he positioned carefully. The armor around the shoes meant that they wouldn't lay down and he shoved another dagger in the left one, this one pulled from the small of his back and much shorter being only a hand-length.

None of the weapons were Remembrance.

The last to go were the swordsman's socks, tucked into his boots carefully before he joined Laven in sitting at the edge of the building. Though he didn't say so, Menel had to admit that the burgundy color of Laven's undershirt suited him much better than the black overcoat he had been wearing before. The green vest almost gave him the look of some kind of pale flower. He sat down gracefully where Laven had indicated, his swords scraping lightly against the ground. Those weapons at least were ones that never left his side save perhaps when he slept. And even then they never seemed to go far from him.

"The view is amazing." Menel looked out over the other rooftops, the people moving far beneath him. With the sun going down... it really was beautiful. He pulled the food a bit closer and started arranging things a little. "You should eat something before you waste away."

He chuckled lightly, flashing the other man a smile then growing a bit more serious. "I wanted to thank you Laven. For everything. I've had a lot of fun today."
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:12 pm

For a long silent period of time Laven simply sat and watched at Menel disarmed himself. His legs were drawn up comfortably and his elbows rested on his knees, one hand cupping his cheek and supporting his head. It was in a way entertaining to see the little knives appear from Menel's armor before being laid out neatly. He almost opened his mouth, warned Menel that he could disable the man with his bare hands. No knives needed when you've been trained in the art of death.

That didn't stop the assassin from noting that his dagger wasn't resting beside the other two. Nor the tremor inside when he realized he was glad it wasn't.

"I wanted to thank you Laven. For everything. I've had a lot of fun today." Menel had moved, mentioned something about Laven eating. But Laven was staring at the daggers, lost in thought. He didn't want this to end, didn't want the dagger to be returned. That would signal the end of this strange and wonderful evening. And mean it was time to return to being alone and being deadly. To being Menel's opponent instead of a kind of friend. And Laven didn't want to fight him. Even if it was some friendly sparring, Laven found he had no desire to even go through the motions and let Menel best him. If only, if only...

But then food was being thrust at him, Menel's face back in his field of vision. And Laven didn't stop the smile from blooming at the sight.
"I..." Here he paused, furrowing his brow and looking into blue eyes. "I'm glad. I really am." Laven reached out and took a small container of what looked like fried dough balls with little bits of seafood sticking out of them, trying to organize his thoughts. "Menel," he started, watching the young man and feeling suddenly embarrassed. What was he to say? You're attractive Or May I kiss you? No. So instead he glanced at the thinner of the two daggers beside the blanket. Noticed he had leaned in a bit too close to Menel's personal space and withdrew.

"If you don't mind, I can open the wine with that dagger of yours. Or you can."
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:46 pm

It felt much more comfortable sitting down without the blades he kept tucked along his spine. They were weapons he carried only when he was on a job, knowing that though it rarely if ever happened he could be disarmed of his swords and that he could be in nearly any position when that happened. Meaning that having a variety of weapons to choose from was a good idea. Besides which there were any number of situations in which having more than one weapon to choose from was a good idea.

He relaxed into his seat, breathing out a little. It really was quite comfortable considering that there was only a few blankets between them and the concrete. What made it even more than the view however was the good company he was in.

Who would have guessed he'd have this much fun spending the day with an assassin?

Crimson eyes met his, and suddenly, though neither of them knew it Menel was having the same thought that Laven had only a moment before. Or nearly. He wished that the night wasn't falling so quickly. Much as he looked forward to the idea of meeting this man in a physical contest... Well that would be the end of it... wouldn't it? In the end Laven was an assassin.

Why?

Laven leaned back a little, leaving the swordsman blinking slowly. He hadn't realized that they'd drawn unconsciously closer to one another.
"Here..." Menel slid his hand over his thigh, fingers sliding under the leather that covered his pants and pulling out a slender throwing knife. It had a flat handle, and was far more comfortable to use for something small than either of the blades he'd taken off of himself before. He flipped it over in his fingers and offered Laven the hilt. "This should be easier to use. I have no idea how open a wine bottle."
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:21 pm

He popped one of the little balls of meat and dough into his mouth, thin fingers freed to take the dagger offered to him. Chewing allowed him to remain silent, and he inspected the thin blade with interest before grasping the wine bottle and positioning it comfortably in his lap. It was a good dagger for the job, thin bladed but very sharp. Swallowing, Laven gave a soft chuckle, turning the knife in his hand and beginning to cut the wax away with efficiency. "I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't know how to open it in this manner. Most people use a cork screw instead." The wax was peeled away much like an apple's skin, falling neatly into Laven's lap. Once the glass and cork were revealed Laven simply thrust the narrow blade in to the hilt before twisting it and with a grunt of effort, popping the cork out as he withdrew the knife.

Shavings of wax brushed aside, he offered the now open bottle to Menel, followed by the hilt of the little dagger.
"Thank you." Laven smiled at Menel, taking another bite sized piece of food and eating it before leaning back on their makeshift cushion. There was a little of the sauce used to cover the food on his thumb, and Laven licked it clean before stretching his arms over his head. He managed to hide the grunt as his bruised side protested, but not the wince this time. So he sighed, looking up at the few stars that could be seen as the sky slipped into night fully.

"You've been giving me an odd look since we sat down, my dearest." Laven smiled and tilted his head to look Menel over, his face becoming obscured in shadows even as his white white hair stood out in the darkness. "Another question burning through you that you need to ask? I don't mind." And he didn't. Maybe if Menel asked the right ones Laven would even tell him more than he should. Enough that this wouldn't need to be a farce.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:54 pm

Menel watched with avid interest as Laven opened the bottle. The truth was of course that Menel didn't know how to open a wine bottle even with the proper tools in hand, but watching Laven do it the swordsman was pretty sure that he could have managed to do it this way if he tried. It didn't seem to complicated really, and when the elf offered him the bottle Menel took it, looking it over. Menel flashed Laven another little smile, taking the knife back and sliding it back into it's hidden sheathe without even looking down. "Your welcome."

The wine smelled as he might have expected it too, sweet and of unfamiliar spices. He took a drink right from the bottle and was surprised a bit at the bite it had to it. The light tingle of warmth from the alcohol. He set the bottle between them, and ate a bite of the same thing that Laven was. It was still warm and very good. He made a small pleased noise before leaning back. Tilting his head to watch Laven stretch.

Noticing the wince. His lips tightened for just an instant, remembering their brief fight earlier. Had he bruised the elf's ribs? ...Was that why the elf had moved before during their contest?

"You've been giving me an odd look since we sat down, my dearest. Another question burning through you that you need to ask? I don't mind."

Menel shifted his weight, half rolling toward the elf. "I was just... wishing that the sun didn't set so fast." His blue eyes flickered up toward the night sky, then back to the elf at his side. Though the sun was gone now, the sky turning more shades of gray and allowing it's splendor to fade away. The sky always seemed to give up it's beauty so easily but with lingering touches as though it did not want to. Menel's blue eyes did not deviate from Laven's again. "I feel like I should be asking you the same thing. I've had a lot of men weigh me with their gaze, but not like you do."

Laven didn't want to hurt him, but he couldn't imagine why the other man looked at him the way he did.
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:28 pm

"Ah, I suppose it was foolish to think you'd see that as just me mooning over your very handsome face." Laven sighed softly, leaning up to take a long drink from the wine bottle before replacing it and laying the rest of the way down. With his eyes looking away from Menel he smiled bitterly, seeing the darkness of night fighting with the city's lights beneath them.

"I think too much. My grandfather always said it was the sign of wisdom to come, but really in my life it's always just been dangerous. And as I get older and lose more and more-" Laven cut off his sentence, red eyes lost in the sky while he tried to crush the grief in his heart. It still burned, old wounds that scraped and soured no matter how much time passed. He almost deflected then, turned the tables back on Menel or started speaking of inconsequential things. But he had promised to speak the truth when he answered the human. And maybe the poor man had earned a right to see some of Laven's sorrows.

"The more I lose," He began again after a long moment of looking at the stars. Finally he blinked away the shine of tears and turned his head to face Menel, his expression serious. "The more I seem to forget reality. I've heard some of the elves on Vida have that problem when they reach their elder years but I'm not quite that old yet. I don't know what it is, if I've forgotten how to live like other people do, or if I'm just here because I can't figure out where else to be. So I lose myself in the past, in daydreams."

As he spoke he shifted so that he was on his side, completely facing Menel. He reached out as if to touch the human's face but let his hand fall before they encountered his cheek. Blood red eyes searched Menel's gentle face, as if he could find all the answers he was looking for in that clear blue gaze. Laven drew a breath and exhaled it with a shuddering sound. "And then you appear, and I've found myself snapped back into the here and now more than I have in years. So beautiful in more than just your face and body. You're grounding and I'm trying to find out why. Why don't I want to hurt you? Why don't I try and fight you, lie to you, do anything in my power to get what I want from you?"

He almost made a choking sound, turning it into a strangled laugh at the last moment. "If it wasn't so important I almost wish I could turn away from this job. I wish I could, so that I wouldn't have to face your swords and know I had to get through your guard no matter what." The admission was horrifying, even as Laven was glad to get it off his chest. He wanted Menel to step away from his duty because Laven knew too much was riding on him refusing to be the one to withdraw.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:54 pm

There was no reply to Laven's words, not even when the elf looked up at the night sky. Menel could sense it, every bit as much as he could sense the edge of an oncoming blade; that Laven wasn't done with just those words. If he'd known Menel better, he'd know that the swordsman wouldn't have considered for a moment that someone was 'mooning' over him. He was willing to wait for the truth. To wait for pain that slipped over Laven's features like a well-worn glove. They drew out the lines on his face. Making him look older than in any moment before this one.

Even when he finally, almost slowly turned toward him it was still there. Made clear by his words. He too knew what it was like to lose someone. To lose people out of his life in ways that he could do nothing about. To be reminded of the past until there were days when it seemed like reality wasn't real.

A hand lifted, reaching out and almost touching him but it fell. Never quite reaching it's mark. He couldn't bear for an instant to let that gesture go. His fingers slid over Laven's trying to offer some manner of unspoken comfort for that pain he couldn't entirely understand. Even if they'd both lost people... Menel of all people knew how unique that pain was.

He couldn't help the light blush that rose to his cheeks though the darkness hid it. He wanted to say that he wasn't beautiful, but he wouldn't interrupt. He let Laven talk, trying to understand. No... he didn't understand. Not why Laven didn't want to hurt him, or why he'd agreed not to lie. Menel didn't even know why he'd suggested this idea in the first place. Why not just knock him out and simply check his body for the dagger? Why not kill him for it?

The sound of Laven's bitter choked laughter made Menel's skin crawl. There were so many questions hanging in the air and Menel couldn't figure out how to work his way through them all.
"Why is it so important Laven?" His voice was soft. "Why is it so important that you... that you do that? If it's so important..."

Then Laven shouldn't be sitting here. The assassin should have been killing him. Should have been throwing his body off the edge of the roof. Not sitting here like this with him, admitting that he didn't want to do it. Maybe Laven wouldn't tell him why he was an assassin. Maybe he couldn't find his way out of being one even with all the other options in his life, but maybe Laven could tell him why this man. Why did they have to fight?

"Just tell me why it's so important that you kill him."
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:35 pm

The comfort he got from something as simple as the brush of Menel's fingers against his own was almost too much in that moment. There was a feeling, a thread of understanding. Grief answering grief and acknowledging it without trying to find a reasoning behind the suffering. This was a person that knew, knew of loss and how shredded it could make a person.

Laven wished desperately that Menel had never been touched by so much pain. Hoped it wasn't anything like his own even as he feared it was. He tangled their fingers, a gentle squeeze to remind them both to stay away from the wounds so they didn't spiral down together.

When Menel questioned him on why it was a relief. He knew the swordsman had been confused from the start. Knew Laven didn't act like a cold blooded killer only looking to fill his pockets with money. And he had to wonder why. They always did, unless they were people like him. The broken and the ones who have seen too much of the filth in this world to let it go without punishment. Menel might not like the reality of his answer, but Laven knew there was no way to lie now. No.

He drew closer, closing his eyes for a long moment to settle his thoughts before sitting upright once more. He kept his fingers laced with Menel's and used his remaining hand to reach out, touching the face beneath him as he had wanted to earlier.
"Do you know why Mahri named that toy Gwenny, Menel?" He brought up the image in his mind, another dwarf child, taller and stronger than her sister. Red hair a shock of curls that were only tamed with brute force. And then the look on her mother's face when she had burst into Laven's home. The sound of her grief and rage as it shook the foundations of his only safe haven.

"Gwenny is -was- Mahri's sister. And two weeks ago she vanished, along with a string of children of all ages." The red eyes burned now, tired and angry and frustrated. "I had heard rumors of people being stolen, filed it away as a rumor to keep an ear out for. It wasn't until they had enough money to pay my fee that I realized how many. How many were just children." The last word was hissed, as if that was the worst sin of all. Worse was the eyes of the street workers that knew he knew their babies were missing. Knew their coin was earned in flesh and were begging him to use it to save what little good was left in their lives.

Laven would have taken the job for free.

"So I hunted, my cousin and Helsmi ferreting out information. And we found the crux of it all. A man with fame and fortune and a glittering exterior that had far more money than he should have right to. Selling people to the rich, the disgusting." Laven squeezed Menel's hand once more before releasing it to spring to his feet. He paced, pale bare feet padding across concrete as if it was plush carpeting.

"Tonight, there is a ship coming to get whomever that man has currently stolen away. If he doesn't show the deal will be off. If he doesn't show I can track them to where the children might be hidden. They want a quick profit and I want to bring Gwenny home to her family."

Laven looked at Menel, his face hard and showing the reality of someone who killed for profit. Carrying each death with acceptance. "That is why Ryliegh is my contract, Menel. I'm sorry."
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:15 pm

Of course he didn't know the answer to Laven's gentle question. Couldn't see what it had to do with his, but he was a patient man. "No." His voice was soft, just a simple reply slipped where necessary into the conversation. He never doubted that Laven would explain. That there was more than a question for his question.

Even when the explanation began to come it didn't answer his question, but he wasn't stupid. He could see the pain and frustration in Laven's eyes, and he knew as well as anyone the short list of things that might happen to a child that went missing like that. Menel's own eyes hardened, his jaw tightening. His body still.

This was not a time for memories.

Laven hadn't even reached the end of his words and Menel had a sick pit in his stomach. That voice telling him that he knew where this was going. The elf's words made that sickness a fact.

Laven rose to his feet and Menel dug his fingers into the cloth. He was working for a monster. There were times when he didn't have a chance to vet his employers. It had never really bothered him before. Everyone's life deserved to be protected. Even monsters like the man he had been employed by.

He couldn't remain laying down himself. Menel rose to his feet, trying to control the edge of anger and sickness that were trying to consume him. He couldn't just go to the man and pound his face into the ground. His honor demanded that he protect Ryliegh, even if for the moment that meant protecting the man from his own anger.

"That is why Ryliegh is my contract, Menel. I'm sorry."

Pain flashed over Menel's face before he could control the flash of emotion. He'd already taken half a step toward Laven before he stopped. Shaking his head just a little. "Why are you sorry?" He pressed his lips tight before letting out a shaken breath, fingers pressing over his face and through his short white hair. Just as suddenly as he'd stood the swordsman sat down, curling his arms over his knees. "I can't let you kill him."

The words were quiet but firm. Finally he looked up, his blue eyes dark and weighted. "But I'm not on duty tonight, and I can help you get her back to her family... if you'll let me."
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:16 pm

"No."

His voice was gentle in it's rebuke but also final. Laven was standing before Menel, watching the curled up figure with sympathy and something else that seemed to get lost in his red eyes. Understanding, acknowledgment perhaps. But Laven wasn't about to let his feelings override him on this point. Instead he lowered himself to his knees and waved his hand as if to dismiss any argument Menel could make.

"No. Menel you'd be a liability. You and I have contracts with opposing goals. I can't break mine and let him live, you can't break yours and let me kill him. You coming with on what could be a fruitless endeavor is a waste of time." Laven hoped Menel could understand. They were both bound by their honor. Laven's was just crooked and stained in red. Every job meant death could come for him as easily as his target. He had learned to accept that. But he wouldn't let others take that chance.

He had hoped the man would understand. Hoped he could see that even an assassin could  be right in taking a life sometimes. But Laven suspected that Ryliegh could bring a knife across little Mahri's throat and he'd still do his duty. Laven wondered if Menel could see what a monster it could easily make him. To become complacent in order to keep with his own sense of justice.

Laven had seen the pain in Menel's face, saw the burden he had slung over his shoulders like a coat of lead. Kneeling so close, Laven reached out and placed his right hand carefully on Menel's knee, meeting that weighted gaze with his own.
"For what it's worth, I'm sorry because I can't turn away from my path any more than you seem to be unable to deviate from your own." The older elf gave Menel a tight smile.He had hoped to make the end of this night beautiful instead of strained. "And you're right. The night does come too fast. Soon I wont even be able to see your lovely face in this darkness."
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:41 pm

He would have argued if Laven hadn't stopped him. He wanted to help. Almost needed to. Laven didn't understand, not really. Even if he had his contract, his honor. The thought of those children in that situation hurt him more than words could say. Standing by idly when he knew was something he wasn't sure he could do. He wasn't blind to how dangerous it might be, or how stupid. The idea of walking into some kind of raid at Laven's side to rescue them... and then reporting in the next day for duty? He'd be lucky if he didn't get himself killed that way.

In his mind... it would be worth it.

That didn't mean that he thought it was right for Laven to kill Ryliegh. It was a crux that the swordsman couldn't quite work his way through. If Laven left he would try to kill the man. As sure as the sun had set a few moments ago. If Laven failed... those children would be lost to cruelty Menel couldn't bear.

Laven's hand touched his knee, but his words were so far from comforting. He hadn't explained anything really had he? Nothing about why Menel was still alive when he obviously should be dead. Menel reached his hand out, gripping the other man's arm tightly.

"You don't have to kill him Laven." His voice was tight. "You don't have to put any more death on your hands. I could keep him away from the docks if you need... there are so many options other than death."

He couldn't smile. He didn't want that burden on Laven's shoulders. Couldn't imagine why this kind man couldn't find some other solution. Was it just foolish of him to try?

Why had he agreed to all of this in the first place? To giving a weapon back to an assassin that he'd have to face again. Menel ducked his head.
"I'm sorry. I know it's stupid of me to try and stop you from doing your job... Your right... I can't turn away from mine either but... It seems like there should be some solution doesn't it?" He took a breath and let out a bitter sound, unable to hide a trace of how much this was hurting him inside when he looked up. "I'm sorry."
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:14 pm

The hand on his arm burned, the voice it belonged to sad and wound tighter than a spring. Menel was having a crisis, and Laven felt terribly even as he kept his face smooth and sympathetic. This man wanted to save him from himself? If only that was possible. If only one less life lost could make up for over a decade of bodies left behind Laven's path. "It's a burden I chose to bear, Menel." Laven looked at the younger man, thinking about how he would have felt at that age, looking at the person he was now. It was even odds he'd have been disgusted. Justifiably so.

With the hand not currently caught in Menel's grasp, Laven pulled forth the wine from where it was still sitting along with their abandoned food. Laven suspected he wouldn't have the stomach to eat any more of it this evening. But knowing what he had to do, knowing that this was the better (if harder) course of action gnawed at his insides very much like hunger.

"Drink," Laven murmured, pretending to take a swallow of the heady wine himself.

"Until the wine's gone, I don't want to talk about this anymore." He fixed a calm gaze on Menel and squeezed the knee his hand was still on top of. "Afterwards, we can make a choice. I wanted to show you something when we came up here." He still wanted to salvage something from this day. Before he went and destroyed it. So he took another faux swallow and felt his throat contract. Felt the sandpaper burn that was guilt but locked it away.

He was a terrible person, but he could at least give Menel some kindness.
"Drink, and watch with me."

The night closed around them like a whisper.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:33 pm

It would have been so much easier in so many ways if Menel could have simply placed Laven in a box, labeled him a bad guy. But he couldn't. He knew better than that. He knew with horrible clarity that Laven wasn't lying to him. No man on this earth could have faked that pain or would have. There simply wasn't anything to gain in it. It was useless to argue. He'd only be repeating himself. Telling Laven that he didn't need to bear this burden, that it was something no man should have to know.

Almost he admitted his own sin to the elf. The dark truth that lay like a shadow in his heart. But it wouldn't do any good and... He didn't want Laven to know. Perhaps though, it was because of that he could look at the assassin and not judge him to harshly for what he had become. Menel didn't see a murderer. He saw a man that saw no other way.

The elf offered him a drink and Menel took it gladly. Anything to distract him from the layers of worry that threatened to eat away at him. Never noticing that Laven wasn't really drinking himself, his emotions blinded him. Menel took a hearty drink and set the bottle back down. His appetite had been pushed back out of his mind, so the food lay forgotten.

"Drink, and watch with me."

Menel gave the elf a smile, a small one that was a bit weak around the edges but it wasn't a bad one. He could honor that desire. They didn't need to ruin this night. He didn't want to. "We can talk about something else..."

Suddenly beyond Laven there was a sharp sound, a pop and then an explosion of light and color in the sky. Menel's eyes widened and he made a soft sound of surprise that was almost lost in the echo of the first firework. The second was slow to follow, leaving time for Menel to utter a single surprised word. "Fireworks?"

The second was white, like a starburst in the sky, lighting up their surroundings beautifully and Menel felt the edge of his worry falling away to awe. This was a treat he had seen only very rarely. In fact... He could only count three times in his life. Menel managed to tear his eyes away, tugging on Laven's arm gently trying to get the man to sit beside him, and also just... excited.
"They're fireworks!"
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next